Implant Dentures in Denton, TX
In contrast with regular dentures, which rest on the gums, implant supported dentures are secured in your mouth by dental implants. Dentures supported by implants can be anchored in either the lower and upper jaw, but they are commonly placed in the lower because dentures are inclined to be less stable in that area. To prevent the denture from coming loose, it is snapped into place using the implants surgically rooted in the jaw.
Implant Supported Dentures vs. Traditional Dentures
Implant Supported Dentures
- Do not stimulate teeth like natural bone, leading to bone loss over time.
- Known to be uncomfortable and inconvenient.
- Unstable – known to slip around in the mouth, complicating chewing and speaking.
- Requires denture paste and adhesives to maintain cleanliness.
- Dental implants fuse with the jaw bone, so dentures supported by implants stimulate bone growth and prevent further loss.
- Denture supported implants look and act just like natural teeth!
- Anchored to implants surgically embedded in the mouth, providing the stability of healthy, natural teeth. Bite force increases up to 10 times within the first year!
- Fixed implant supported dentures act like permanent teeth.
Implant supported dentures are available in two different types: bar-retained and ball-retained. Two or more dental implants are needed to place either type. Bar-retained dentures are attached to implants surgically embedded in the gums. The denture rests on a metal bar that is affixed to the implants and runs along the gum line. Ball-retained dentures employ a ball and socket design to attach the dentures to the implants. Typically, the denture is fitted with sockets and the implants have a ball on top of them, which are snapped into place where the ball and sockets meet.
Dr. Todd McCracken, located in Denton, TX, is a Dentist who serves patients from Denton, Corinth, Flower Mound and surrounding areas. Dr. McCracken works with Dr. Williams (oral surgery) and Dr. Murphy (endodontics) to provide you with a beautiful new smile you can be proud of. We are looking forward to welcoming you to our office and encourage you to schedule your appointment today!
For more information: http://www.ada.org/2996.aspx